Mornings.

12:20 PM

Mornings.

Waking up, opening your eyes just barely, only to close them again. The alarm is going off. Inhale, exhale, the first breath of the day. Feeling the warmth of the covers. That first step into the shower. Making a cup of tea. Hair, makeup, perfume and the latest fashion.


Or maybe if you're like me, getting out of bed is miracle in itself and today you are just bumming it to work or school. Again. That's me most days. Waking up and feeling like your life is a movie, not in a fairy tale way, but rather feeling like life is movie you're watching and can't control. The energy to get up and get the day started is nonexistent.


Mornings.


But recently I've begin to see mornings as so much more. Mornings may be hard but I also see them as a sign from God. Even if some days it is just a faint whisper, calling out, reminding me that he is not finished yet. Another day, a future, a plan, for me. 


Yesterday was not the end. There is a new day and God is bigger. He is bigger than the pain that seems to just be sitting in my soul. He's bigger than the anxiety carried to bed the night before. He is bigger than the insomnia that stirs through night. He is bigger than the intrusive thoughts that keep popping up, up, up, out of nowhere and screaming. My sins of the day before don't have to maintain their grip on me, God has given me a new day and a new breath of life.



Psalm 30:15 
"Weeping may endure for a night, 
But joy comes in the morning."

But mornings aren't always easy. Seeing God's hand in them does not equal pain free. How can you begin a new day with the weight of everything pulling you under and a life that seems to have no structure just messy and broken pieces? It will never be perfect but I think the more we run to Jesus and strive to understand his word, the more we will see his promises and the goodness to come as we begin to see the love and the life he wants for us. 


I see God in my mornings. He shows up and speaks through my sleepiness. He promises new life through him day after day.




Lamentations 3:22-23 
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images